Get Professional Help For More Restful Sleep
If you often wake up feeling breathless, you may be suffering from sleep apnea. Before you panic, you should know that this condition is quite common, affecting anywhere between 2% to 9% of the American population.
At Tolley Dental, we believe that sleep apnea is best treated with the latest innovations in dentistry. Our team is ready to help you with affordable, high-quality solutions led by the most trusted advanced care experts in Winchester.
What Is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep Apnea is a condition that reduces or stops the airflow from your nose to your lungs as you sleep. When you’re asleep, the muscles in your throat and tongue relax as you inhale and exhale. With sleep apnea, these parts relax a little too much, preventing you from getting enough oxygen in your lungs and brain.
Sleep apnea appears in three forms:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) – This condition causes your breathing to pause repeatedly during sleep.
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) – This condition requires a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine to regulate breathing.
- Mixed Sleep Apnea – This condition indicates a mix of both CSA and OSA occurring every time you sleep.
What Are The Common Symptoms Of Sleep Apnea?
Diagnosing sleep apnea in its early stages is crucial for maintaining a long, healthy life. If undetected and untreated, you increase your chances of getting heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, or even a stroke. This is why it’s important to get yourself checked and diagnosed by trusted health professionals. Schedule a check-up if you or your loved ones notice these common warning signs of sleep apnea:
- Chronic snoring or
- Gasping or choking
- Irregular breathing
- Respiration issues
- Difficulty sleeping
- Headaches when waking up
- Lack of focus
- More irritable than usual
- Sore or dry throat
- Frequent urination
What Causes Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is usually caused by your tongue pressing against the back of your throat; this directly results in a blockage of the airflow. Eventually, the lack of oxygen will disrupt your sleep, sometimes several times throughout the night. Here are some factors that may contribute to sleep apnea:
- Sleeping position
- Congested nostrils
- Hormonal imbalance
How Do You Treat Sleep Apnea?
While you can treat mild sleep apnea with lifestyle changes, sleeping positions, and orofacial therapy, moderate to severe cases may need more in-depth assistance. At our practice, we help patients with the following devices and procedures:
- Mouthpieces – Also called ‘oral appliances’, these help reposition your tongue to keep it from blocking the airway. Tongue retainers are also an option if you don’t want to cover your upper and lower teeth.
- Breathing Devices – A CPAP machine is provided or patients with CSA and mixed apnea.
- Implants – A special device is surgically placed to stimulate the right muscles and nerves during sleep.
- Surgery – For permanent results, we offer Tonsillectomy, Maxillary, and Tracheostomy procedures.
Treat Your Sleep Apnea At Tolley Dental
Getting good quality sleep is important if you want to live a healthy life! With the right preventive measures, you can take a more proactive approach and beat sleep apnea once and for all.
Schedule a consultation with our team today and we’ll be happy to discuss the most suitable options for any type of sleep apnea.
Love the staff! Love Dr. Tolley! When dental emergencies have come up for my husband and I, they have always gotten us in quickly and provided outstanding service!
I had a very pleasant experience. Everyone is very friendly and the technicians are very good at what they do. Dr Tolley is great…very personable and skilled, great at cosmetic dentistry. Best dentist in the Winchester area (and beyond)!
Wonderful experience!! Very professional yet personable staff. Dr. Tolley was amazing. Got me in and pulled my abscess tooth even during Covid. Highly recommend their dental services. I am very thankful to them all and glad I was referred to them by a friend. If looking for a dentist, give them a call!!
Dr. Tolley, his medical staff, and his office staff are all kind and accommodating. Totally recommend this office for their professional skill and personable care. Thanks so much!